"Conscious physical training is using the visible to mold the invisible."
-Dan Millman

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Goals and Community

Okay, I know that to a lot of people it is no big deal.  There are people in gyms all over the world who can do muscle ups, people can do 10 to 20 of them at a time.  Hell, a muscle up is just the way a gymnast gets up onto the rings to do all the interesting and amazing gymnastics.  Regardless of all of that, to me, a muscle up is a big deal.

I have been trying to get a muscle up for months.  I have had the strength.  I have understood how the movement works.  I have known for months that I "should" be able to do a muscle up, and yet I have not been able to get one.  I have no problem telling you the reason why....fear.  To put it simply, I was afraid to really try.  If I closed my eyes all I could see was myself dislocating a shoulder, falling, breaking an arm etc.  Despite this fear, each time I came into the gym I worked on some aspect of a muscle up.  I would do ring dips, I would work the transition, I would jump into a muscle up, I would use bands.  Over time I let my body get more comfortable with the various parts of the movement.  But I was still afraid to just go for it.  Then last Friday I did just that.

I spent some time that day jumping into the low position of the movement, and raising the rings higher and higher.  My friends Jesse and Jevon encouraged me to just go for it.  They assured me that I could do it.  I took a few deep breaths and then a big kip and before I knew it I was sitting in the low position of a full muscle up.  I was so shocked that I jumped down without finishing the move.  I just could not believe that I had done it without ripping my arm out of the socket!  Other friends from the noon class joined the chorus of encouragement and I jumped back up on the rings and did my first muscle up.  I finished the movement to cheers from my fellow athletes.  It felt great!

For months I had wanted to be able to do a muscle up but my fear was holding me back.  I shared my fear with my friends at the gym and received understanding, friendly joking and teasing, and most of all support.  My friends watched me try and try and fail and fail at the muscle up.  Throughout all of it they continued to encourage and coach me on.  My friends were there when I achieved my goal...I achieved it to the sounds of their cheers.  Most importantly I achieved it with them.  My community, my tribe was a key element to my success.

One of the open secrets of life deals with the types of people we surround ourselves with.  I am so greatful to be part of a tribe of supportive, strong, and fun friends.

Here is a side ways video of my muscle up:

2 comments: