"Conscious physical training is using the visible to mold the invisible."
-Dan Millman

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Necessary or Comfortable?

 
(performing the last 3 of 30 Curtis P's at the prescribed weight of 95 lbs.)







Scaling because of necessity or comfort?  This is a question I started asking myself about 2 months ago.

Those of you who are CrossFitters know what I mean by scaling, for the rest of you I will offer a brief explanation.

In our workouts that involve weight we have a prescribed weight for men and women.  This prescription is based on what an elite athlete should be able to do the workout with.  As an example, our workout today involved completing 30 repetitions of a wonderful exercise known as a Curtis P (hang squat clean, right lunge, left lunge, push press and repeat).  The prescribed weight for men was 95 lbs. and for women it was 65 lbs.  Scaling involves taking this weight and lowering it if you are unable to do the workout with that weight.  So for example, a man might scale down to 75 lbs. if he knew he could not complete the given repetitions at the prescribed weight.  That can serve as a brief description of scaling.

Since I began CrossFit I scaled just about every weighted workout that I did.  I had a lot of confidence when it came to body weight workouts but heavier weight flat out intimidated me.  And thus, for the past year I would scale almost every weighted workout.  Typically when faced with a WOD (workout of the day for the non-initiated) like the one today I would have done it at about 75 lbs.  Approximately 2 months ago I began to question my reasoning for doing this.  I began to wonder if I was scaling because I really could not handle that weight, or was it more because I was intimidated by it.

I decided to begin an experiment.  I had witnessed another member of our gym increase their weight capacity by just going for the prescribed weight every time.  They no longer worried about their time or competition status in relation to anyone else, they just focused on doing the prescribed weight in every workout possible.  I watched this athlete become stronger over a period of a couple of months, and though their time decreased in the beginning, it rapidly caught up after a couple of months.  This athlete is now stronger and faster than when they began.  I decided to follow this same program.

When I get set up for the WOD I automatically load up the prescribed weight.  Most of the time I wonder whether or not I will be able to lift it, or if I will be able to complete the required number of repetitions.  I worry about being the slowest person in the room, or even busting my ass.  I take all that worry and doubt and shove it to the side and load the bar up.  I have been doing this for about a month now and I have done things weight wise that I really did not think I had the ability to do.  I have not failed to complete the number of reps required, I have been the slowest person in the room....but I have not busted my ass!

I think this has profound implications in my life inside and outside of the gym.  How many other things out there have I not tried because I thought I would not be able to?  How many other things do I do at a level that is comfortable as opposed to challenging?  Is that really how I want to live my life?  Do I want to stay comfortable or do I want to get out on the edge?  Undoubtedly many people strive for comfort, and that is all.  I can imagine that for many people this is a satisfactory way to live.  If you are reading this blog, I imagine that you are one of the people who want to get out on the edge.  So I ask you, do you scale your life out of necessity or comfort? 

No comments:

Post a Comment